What Is Florida Bar Board Certification?
- Board certification is Florida’s official, independent determination of a lawyer’s expertise to practice in a specialty field of law. It is the gold standard for Florida lawyers, representing a recognition by a lawyer’s peers that they have attained a level of professional expertise in their chosen fields.
- Board certification is a program officiated by The Florida Supreme Court and administered by The Florida Bar. The program began in 1982 to help the public select lawyers who are distinguished in particular areas of law.
- The Florida Bar thoroughly evaluates all board-certified lawyers for credibility and expertise in a particular area of law, and professionalism and ethics in the practice of law. The Program’s slogan is “Evaluated for Professionalism, Tested for Expertise.”
Only a Tiny Fraction of Lawyers Are Board Certified in Appellate Practice
- As of 2023, only 217 lawyers out of 111,000 eligible Florida Bar Members have earned board certification status in the appellate practice specialty area.
How Does a Lawyer Become Board Certified?
- Board-certified lawyers must dedicate themselves to achieving a heightened level of excellence through professionalism, ethics, and expertise in the specialty area.
- Board-certified lawyers must pass a comprehensive examination that evaluates a high level of knowledge, skill, and expertise in the specialty field.
- Board-certified lawyers also must undergo a rigorous peer-review process that assesses competence in the specialty field, as well as professionalism and ethics.
How Does the Certification Program Help a Client or Potential Client?
- Potential clients can readily locate board-certified lawyers because only Florida attorneys who attain this distinction are allowed to refer to themselves as “board-certified specialists” or “experts.”
- When retaining a board-certified lawyer, the client receives expertise, professionalism and ethics, and dedication to a heightened level of excellence in a legal specialization.
- Potential clients can rely on the fact that board-certified lawyers have met The Florida Bar’s highest standards for special knowledge, skills, and proficiency in the specialty field and professionalism and ethics in the practice of law.